The KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R stares down anything in its path. Bespoke WP suspension, offroad wheels and a tough yet fuel-efficient engine are ready to rumble. Decades of rally raid victories roar within. This bike uses the same state-of-the-art technology as the KTM 1290 ADVENTURE R and even though its engine capacity is smaller, it’s still big on power: 125 hp (92 kW).
The world is yours - Devour it.
ENGINE & EXHAUST
- The advanced V2 engine with a 1,050cc displacement supplies everything an adventure bike could ever need: powerful acceleration, real punch for fully loaded touring and 125 hp (92 kW) peak power for when the chips are down. Low fuel consumption and long service intervals of 15,000 km mean the bike is easy on the wallet too.
- ENGINE Did you know that KTM easily clocks up 1.5 million kilometers every year while testing their new street bike engines? Advanced, but proven technology make the 1090 twin an excellent extreme travel companion. Twin spark ignition lowers fuel consumption and emissions and ensures smooth running and superior power from minimum revs, Ride-by-wire ensures perfect application of the plentiful and readily available torque, Traction control (TC) assures sporty yet completely controllable drive on every surface, the slipper clutch prevents rear wheel chatter and reduces required hand force at the lever when changing gears.
- SLIPPER CLUTCH Not only does the slipper clutch open when the engine back-torque becomes too high, it also assists when you open up the throttle. The former prevents destabilizing rear wheel chatter when braking sharply or decelerating; the latter reduces the lever force required for changing gear, allowing the clutch to be controlled with one trigger happy finger - saving you energy while riding.
- CYLINDER HEADS An absolutely key element in the smooth power delivery of the 75° V-twin is each cylinder’s state-of-the-art 4-valve cylinder head. These combine twin plug ignition, flow-optimized ports and a slick low-friction valve drive train with cams from each cylinder’s twin overhead camshafts driving DLC-coated cam followers.
- DLC COATING DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) is an extremely hard, durable and tribologically (i.e. in terms of sliding behavior) particularly well-suited coating, that KTM uses in many parts (f.e. cam followers). Our engines love it.
- TWIN IGNITION The twin plug ignition system controls the two differently sized spark plugs in each cylinder head independently of each other in such a way that more efficient combustion and a smoother, optimally controlled combustion sequence are achieved at all times. The result: even more and even better controlled power, lower fuel consumption, and lower emissions. That’s nice for everyone.
- PISTONS The forged piston design of the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R, borrowed from Formula 1 technology, results in a high loading capacity, despite the extremely short and lightweight format. They are five millimeters smaller in diameter compared with those of the KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R and a whole 21 grams lighter. This reduces reciprocating weight and helps maximize the responsiveness and free-revving nature of the engine. The piston skirts have an additional state-of-the-art, Grafal® finish. Not only does this minimize friction, it is also particularly hard-wearing which makes a positive contribution to durability.
- RIDE-BY-WIRE It’s the guarantee of a smooth throttle response, more than simply the absence of a throttle cable. The KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R's ride-by-wire system ensures perfect application of the readily available and plentiful torque. It also electronically translates the throttle commands of the rider into throttle valve positions perfectly suited to the riding conditions. The RBW system is fully compliant with the strict DIN 26262 safety standard from the automobile sector.
- LONG SERVICE INTERVALS A unique mix of the highest quality components combined with a fully developed and reliable engine allows extremely long service intervals of 15,000 km. That’s a lot of adventures.
- POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO The combination of lightweight chassis engineering and a compact but powerful engine take the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R to the top of its class in terms of power-to-weight ratio and ride dynamics. Its weight of only 230 kg, while carrying a substantial 23 liters of fuel, makes the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R – in typical KTM style – one of the lightest motorcycles in its segment. Add an outstanding geometry, well-balanced stiffness distribution and high quality suspension components and you end up with a bike that can handle almost anything. This also boosts safety, since it is far easier to fling a lightweight, nimble motorcycle around a source of danger than a heavy one.
- In adding the ‘R’, we add a promise: excellent offroad abilities. So you get a 21 inch wire-spoked wheel at the front, 18 inch at the rear, floating on 220 mm of fully adjustable WP suspension. On top of that, KTM’s signature tubular trellis frame, steel crash bars and a high strength, die-cast, open-lattice swingarm are more eager than ever to earn their stripes. And that’s just the chassis side of things.
- FRAME The chrome-molybdenum steel trellis frame makes a major contribution to the bike’s excellent chassis geometry. It’s a rugged, laser-cut, robot-welded thing of beauty with a glorious surface finish. And at only 9.8 kg, it helps to keep the total, unfueled weight under 210 kg. 207, to be precise. Every kg counts.
- SWINGARM The die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is not only particularly light, it's also precisely manufactured. The design has been optimized for stiffness and stability while still offering excellent flex characteristics.
- WHEELS Offroad standards demand suitable tools, so we fit the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R in-house with our patented, wire-spoked and tubeless 21"/18" wheels. Those who want to ride off into the desert will find a wide selection of suitable tires in these dimensions. But you might just as well start that trip right off the dealer floor; the standard Continental TKC 80 Twinduros, sized 90/90-21 and 150/70-18, are durable, versatile and very happy to take you off the beaten track.
- SUSPENSION A robust 48 mm UPSD fork with extra stiff springs in the front, a PDS shock absorber in the rear. All made by WP, all fully adjustable, all happy to take a serious beating. And they’ll make you enjoy it too. Suspension travel: 220/220 mm.
- BRAKES Precise. Powerful. Stunning. Just as you would expect from a set of Brembo brakes. Up front you’ll find twin 320 mm discs, radially mounted, 4-piston fixed calipers. At the rear, excess speed is taken care of by a generously dimensioned 267 mm disc. And in case of an emergency, Bosch’s two-channel 9M+ ABS is there to save the day.
- FUEL TANK Although still powerful and well equipped, the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R consumes considerably less fuel than the KTM 1290 ADVENTURE R, subject to riding style and terrain. The impressive 23-liter tank capacity gives a comfortable range for long distance traveling. How does 350 kilometers on a tank sound? Like fun, we reckon.
ERGONOMICS & COMFORT
- At KTM, individualists are welcome. The bike’s ergonomics can be adjusted to suit the preferences and stature of any rider, wherever they may roam: Two handlebar clamping positions: horizontal +/- 10 mm, Two footpeg positions: 10 mm up and back (diagonally), Hand levers with 5 reach settings
- HANDLEBAR Two handlebar clamping positions: horizontal +/- 10 mm.
- HAND LEVERS Adjustable hand levers.
- FOOTPEGS Two footpeg positions: 10 mm up and back (diagonally).
- SEATS This is where you’ll - hopefully - spend a lot of time, so the seat has to provide support, feedback and freedom of movement. Thanks to KTM’s state-of-the-art 3D foam padding, the one piece offroad seat of the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R has your back. No matter if your ride is to the local shops or the ones across the desert, both rider and passenger will get there in comfort.
BODYWORK & GRAPHICS
- The 1090 ADVENTURE R's shape leaves no doubt about its DNA. Pure, Offroad, Agile, Fast.
- DASHBOARD The KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R supplies its rider with all necessary and desirable information on a state-of-the-art, clearly arranged instrument cluster from automotive manufacturer VDO. Core data is displayed on a central gauge that consists of an analog rev counter with an integrated, adjustable shift light and an LCD display. This display is dominated by a digital speedometer and supplemented with a digital clock, a gear indicator, bar graphs for coolant temperature and fuel level plus the display for the selected riding mode. A second LCD display is positioned to the left of the central instrument, which displays the adjustable features: Favorites page, Ride modes, Riding conditions page for additional info, e.g. outside temperature, onboard voltage, various trips, average speed, average and current fuel consumption, range and the distance to your next service. Everything is tidy, clean, clear, intuitive and simple to operate – even on the go.
- MENU SWITCH Different modes for the various assistance systems can be selected using a menu switch on the left side of the handlebar. It's very simple and intuitive: "up" and "down" through the menu selection, select the desired menu item with the left button, confirm it with the right. Job done.
SOFTWARE & ELECTRONICS
- Sheer power under full control with the manners of a beast are made possible by the smoothly operating software and electronics. TC, ABS and ride modes support your riding gently and almost imperceptible. The only intervention you notice is the smile on your face.
- TRACTION CONTROL (TC) Developed in close collaboration with Bosch, this safety feature reacts in a matter of milliseconds if the rear wheel tends to spin out of control. As smooth as it is quick, the system closes the throttle valves in order to regain grip. Compelling yet completely controllable drive on all surfaces is guaranteed. As standard, the traction control (TC) offers four different ride modes, selected using the multi-functional switch on the left handlebar grip. ‘Sport’ allows respectable drifts and a perceptible amount of slippage, ‘Street’ keeps things smooth for comfortable, controllable riding with full engine power, ‘Rain’ is all about early intervention and maximum grip in the wet and ‘Offroad’ allows up to 100% of slippage - i.e. double the wheel speed - for ambitious offroad use. And that’s not the end of it. Daredevils, we give you: the off-switch.
- ABS The Bosch two-channel 9M+ anti-lock braking system on the KTM 1090 ADVENTURE R ensures extremely short braking distances with optimum vehicle control. The system modulates brake pressure in such a way that wheel lock-up is prevented and the bikes tendency to lift the rear is minimized when braking hard on surfaces with good grip. In its ‘Offroad’ mode, only the rear wheel is freed from ABS intervention, putting the rider in control of braking slides. Feeling pro? Just deactivate the system entirely.
- ATIR (AUTOMATIC TURN INDICATOR RESET) After 10 seconds of movement and 150 meters of riding distance, the turn indicator will stop automatically. If pressed meanwhile, it counts from zero again. A big improvement in terms of safety, as it is now impossible to forget to reset the indicators.
- OFFROAD RIDE MODE Once this mode is engaged, the ride-by-wire limits the throttle response and peak power, putting you in full control wherever you take your bike. Offroad TC is enabled at the same time. Some serious trail scorching awaits.
- OFFROAD TRACTION CONTROL The Offroad TC mode allows up to 100% slippage - i.e. double rear wheel speed - for ambitious offroad use. Turn it on and master controlled drifts with ease.
- OFFROAD ABS The Offroad ABS mode allows the rider to block the rear wheel as and when required - a prerequisite for committed offroad riding and deliberately executed slides. The ABS function remains active on the front wheel, but it intervenes later and builds up braking pressure in a different way to find grip on loose surfaces.
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.